Monday, October 17, 2011

Grandpa Jacobsen

My sister has been working really hard on making a book of my grandfather's life.  He is getting to be pretty old, so she thought it would be really neat for us to have a book highlighting bits and pieces of his life-from his point of view. The book is just about done, and as I was just proof reading through it, I had one thought...my grandpa is kind of a funny guy.  He told a few stories from his younger years, memories from our cabin at Lamb's Canyon, his mission, and his current life with my step grandmother.  I have a lot of memories of my grandpa. He loves to play board games. I always played board games with him as a child...I specifically remember playing mancala and pick up sticks. He also loves to build things out of wood in his wood shop. I also remember wanting to mow the lawn with him on his "sit down" lawn mower. Or play bad-mitten and croquet in his ginormous backyard. It was always a fun time to go and visit my grandpa at his home in SLC.

Anyways, some pictures that were dug up for the book were really fun to see and will be good to have record of for posterity's sake.

Alan Clifton Jacobsen 
July 9, 1927
(My grandpa)

My Great Grandparents- Vauna Smith (May 19, 1901) and Alexander Clifton Jacobsen (April 27, 1900)
Married June 24, 1925

My Great Great Grandparents
Miriam Pearl Farmer (April 17, 1871) and Andrew Jacobsen (June 1, 1867)
(Clif's parents) 

Vauna, Norma, Thelma (sisters)

Clif and Vauna, Tom and Dwan, and Rosamae

Alan at age 2 1/2 and 6 and on his mission riding his scooters. He loved scooters!
( My grandpa was injured at birth that affected his coordination for the rest of his life. Riding scooters was something that he could do, and he could do well...so he loved it.)

My grandpa and his friends with his first car-a 1932 Chevy Coupe

Alan and his childhood dog, Bimbo

He married my grandma, Rosamae Greenwood on August 21, 1953 in the Salt Lake Temple


They had three kids:
Shauna Mae (my mom) 1955
Mark Alan 1956
Howard Wallace 1957





 My Uncle Mark and Aunt Tauna's Wedding
My uncle Mark was killed in a work related accident on August 23, 1996 while working for my Uncle Tom at YESCO.
His wife Tauna raised their four girls (Angela, Sheila, Emily, Noel) as a single mom.
She finally remarried this year.

My Uncle Howard is married to Hazel Wyatt.
He has two children Cammette and Jackson from a previous marriage.
And one step daughter, Maggie.

Alan and his Second Wife- Signe Smith Thompson Jacobsen

Alan has 12 grandchildren and 18 great grandchildren (so far)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ashley, You share some great photos in this post. Your mom is my dad's cousin. I'd like to connect with your family if you're interested.