Friday, December 26, 2014

Grandpa Jacobsen

My dear grandfather's health had been declining throughout the last couple years. My sweet step-grandmother wrote a letter to my parents suggesting that she may not be able to take care of all of his needs much longer and thoughts of selling the house, putting them in an assisted living facility or moving to Las Vegas started to be discussed. And then Signe had a pretty nasty fall that landed her in the hospital. My aunt Dwan came to the rescue and took care of her older brother, until Signe was released. And then Signe fell again--only this time the damages were much worse. She ended up in the hopital for a couple week and my mom dropped everything to be in Utah to take care of her dad, since she is the only child able. My uncle Howard is not well mentally and her other brother died several years ago. We were very concerned for Signe and her health since there was bleeding in her brain. To our surprise, everything healed up fine and Signe was released a couple weeks later. 

Flashback to 3 months prior--my mom had made plans for the whole family to plan to come up to Utah over Labor Day weekend to help my grandparents with their yard that had become too demanding to maintain for their abilities. We planned to also take some group pictures, since we had not all been together in several years. 

Labor Day weekend happened to fall right in the midst of it all--Signe being in the hospital and my mother being in Utah. We all headed up as planned. We added in a trip to the new Ogden temple, which would be my grandfather's last major outing. 

Three days later he developed pneumonia landing him in the hospital, never to leave again. My mom and grandmother were with him moments before he passed.

What a tender mercy that my mom got to spend that time with her dad the last few weeks of his life. Her time with him has been very minimal over the past several years, so it was so sweet for her to be able to spend that precious time with him. That never would have happened had Signe not fallen. I'm also grateful for these last pictures we got with Grandpa J. The one of him and Signe kissing was a candid shot that I happened to catch. It's probably my favorite. Signe was a huge blessing in all of our lives and I'm grateful for her love and support to my grandfather over the last 17 years. 

 July 9,1927-September 8, 2014

Holladay, UT-Alan Clifton Jacobsen - age 87 died Monday, September 8, 2014 in Salt Lake City, Utah. He was born July 9, 1927 in Salt Lake City, Utah to A. Clifton Jacobsen and Vauna S. Jacobsen. He married Rosamae Greenwood on August 21, 1953. Rosamae passed away on August 11, 1994 and he married Signe Georgia Smith on June 14, 1997.
Alan was a grocer by trade and worked in the family grocery store in the avenues until later in his life when he worked for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in Building Maintenance. He loved to visit and work on the family cabin in Lambs Canyon. He also loved to work with wood; he could build anything and fix anything.
He served a full-time mission for The Church in the East Central States and later served an Employment Service Mission. He also served a Church Humanitarian Mission with his wife Signe. He loved serving with the youth in the church and participated in many activities with them. 
He loved living in Utah, working with the Sons of the Utah Pioneers, serving in the temple and being with his family, especially grandchildren and great-grandchildren. He worked hard his whole life and served others continually. He had a firm testimony of the Savior Jesus Christ and was valiant to the end. 
He is survived by his wife Signe, children Shauna Jacobsen Marx (Steve), Howard Wallace Jacobsen, daughters-in-law Hazel Jacobsen and Tauna J. Young, 12 grandchildren and 23 great-grandchildren and sister Dwan J. Young (Tom). He was preceded in death by his wife Rosamae and son Mark Alan Jacobsen.
A viewing will be held on Friday, September 12, 6-8 pm and funeral service will be held on Saturday, September 13, 2014 at 2:00 pm with a viewing one hour prior. Both will be at the LDS Church at 4568 Holladay Boulevard and Interment will be at Mountain View Memorial 3115 East 7800 South. 
Condolences may be shared with the family at
In lieu of flowers, please donate to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints General Temple Patron Assistance Fund.

The services were really sweet. I loved hearing the stories about his life. He had a hard life. Due to an injury at birth, my grandfather's coordination was affected his whole life. My favorite story was hearing about his will and determination to be able to pass the sacrament when he turned 12. He practiced and practiced holding the tray all around the house so that he could do it. And he did it! He took church and his callings very seriously and dedicated his whole life to serving others the best ways he could. I wish I could remember more of them. 

For more info about my grandfather see this post

No comments: