Tuesday, May 13, 2014

DIY Projects

Remember how I like to live in the "someday" kind of world? Someday I'll do this, or buy this, or be better at this--you know--when I'm married and things are easier and my life makes more sense. After all, this whole not being married, and living at my parents house is just and in-between stage? Right? Newsflash. This "in-between" stage has now lasted almost 4 and a half years! Gasp. This is reality...not "in-between." Part of this realization has been the fact that I hate my "been this way since high school" room. But I've avoided doing anything to my room for the fear that I'll get married and my taste will have changed and it will have been a waste! I know. I'm crazy! But guess what? I'm making baby steps! I have officially spent time and money making my room someplace a little bit more...me. 

Project #1: Jewelry Case
My jewelry has been a disaster for years. But I could never find something big enough, or perfect enough so I just left it a tangled mess. So we (Matt and I) made one instead. Exactly what I imagined and wanted. And it only took us 2 evenings. Mostly because the paint had to dry! I am obsessed!



Project #2: Collage Wall
So I had this idea to a massive collage wall. So we just went for it. And I love it so much. I can stare it it forever and everyone that I love dearly is on it. It reminds me daily how blessed and lucky I am. The trips I get to take. The friends I've made. The family I have. It's all pretty great. I know it's a little overboard...but there was no logical place to stop...so we just kept going. 





Project # 3: Book Shelves
I have had this raggedy old cheap desk in the corner of my room for forever. It was from way back when I had a desktop computer, which I haven't had for a few years! So basically it's been pretty useless and just had a lot of junk on it. I finally threw it, as well as a bunch of stuff on it, away and ordered a cute little vanity to take it's place. And I made myself some bookshelves. Well...actually Matt made them and I was a great helper!! I seriously love them so much! Part of this whole room change has been a declutter too! I've thrown away so much stuff...including every CD I've ever owned. Nuts. But it feels oh so good! (Don't worry...most of them were burned anyways. And Spotify is the way of the future anyways) I also have been wanting little travel boxes ever since I saw the cutest ones on Pinterest years ago to keep all my ticket stubs and little keepsakes from each of my trips. They were the number one thing I wanted to put on there and I could be any more happy with how they turned out! (I have 3 more to still make...so I may need to readjust. One for every continent minus Antarctica. I don't thinkI'll ever go there.) Everything on the shelves was stuff I already had and it just so happened to all go together perfectly. I seriously smile every time I walk into my room now.  :)





I bet you noticed one common denominator in all these projects. 
Matt. 
He's been my number one supporter and makes my ideas a reality. He's too, too great.

No comments: