Friday, March 18, 2011

Bribery.

Matix works best off of bribes. 
I know that's not the best way to parent, but when you're dealing with a (not too) terrible two year old...you do whatever works. 

First Example: Haircut.

My dad has this obsession with cutting Matix's hair.
He hates it long, and he loves doing it.
Matix is not as excited about the arrangement.
So what does he do?
"Matix, if you let me cut your hair...I will...."


."...Take you on a motorcycle ride!"

 Not a bad deal, and everyone was happy happy happy.


Second Example: Potty Training

Well...It's not going so great.
(It's not going bad, but not good either.)
He did so great that one weekend, and then totally totally lost interest. 
He just loves his diapers, for some odd reason. 
He will cry at the thought of wearing underwear....
So this is where bribery comes in. 
"Matix...if you wear your big boy underwear... all day with no accidents...
we can go get Baskin Robbins tonight!!"
(i have to act very excited about it too...he feeds off my energy)
He ponders...And agrees!

tell me his little underwear bum is not the cutest thing ever.
 
...and he had no accidents all day!!
So off to Baskins Robbins we went. 
(No pictures...because we all were looking a little homeless that day. Staying home all day cleaning will do that to ya)

The next day...he was back to loving diapers.
So it's either bribery...or diapers. 
Bribery it is.



Hopefully one day the bribes will stop or I will have one fat child from all the ice cream that potty training is  requiring!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

before I started potty training I read "Potty training in less than a day". Any help is good help, right? We tried it, and worked like a charm! we had periodic accidents for about 2 weeks (and I mean one every couple days) and haven't had one since! Patience is the key :)

Tim and Audrey said...

ash this is so fantastic! I love that your dad and matix are little buddies. so cute together! and matix's little tush is adorable in his big boy underwear! good luck potty training!

Chels Allred said...

I am a big fan of bribes. Always worked on me...but now I won't do ANYTHING unless I get something out of it. hahahaha. I like it that way.
his little bum DOES look so cute.