Wednesday, July 11, 2012

East Coast Road Trip: Boston

My super awesome, amazing, and super good looking boyfriend just so happened to have some free flights in his possession. And he just so happened to want to spend the Fourth of July in Boston. And it just so happens that my birthday is right around the corner....so he was basically obligated to bring me along with him...right? Right. Just kidding. He totally wanted me there...I think. Anyways, the point is that my Fourth of July was better than yours because I spent it in BOSTON!! 
We arrived in Boston the night of July 3rd, and were ready to see the city. Neither of us had ever been there before, so we wanted to get a feel for it. One of Devin's best childhood friends has been living there for the past 4 years attending Berklee school of Music. (which was the main reason Devin wanted to go out there...to see Phil and his wife Crystal) My cousin also lives out there and so we planned to go to dinner and she offered to pick us up. Boy, was that the best idea ever. Bekah is the best (and maybe most dangerous) tour guide ever! We loved it! She drove us across town telling us everything you could ever want to know about Boston...and then we ended up at the most amazing restaurant ever, called The Barking Crab. It's right on the shore, and exactly how I imagined the east coat to be. Specifically Boston. There were Scott Disick's Everywhere!! In coral shirts and polo shirts. And lobsters bigger than my head. 11 lbs. to be exact. And $240. No thank you...but thanks for the entertainment. I could have stayed there all night, except I'm glad I didn't because I got to touch the Atlantic Ocean after dinner, for the first time ever. Just my toes, but I was excited!



The next morning was the Fourth of July! We started off the day with a parade in downtown Boston. It wasn't exactly the kind of parade I had in mind, it was a lot of historic soldiers and military marching from place to place while they read about historic events. It ended at the Old State House balcony where the Boston Massacre happened in 1770. They read the Declaration of Independence since it was also the place where the Declaration of Independence was read to the public for the first time ever! The guy who read had a super thick Boston accent and he and the crowd all got emotional over it. It was super cool. After that we decided to go for the gold and be as patriotic as possible...by doing the Freedom Trail! The freedom trail is a red brick trail that goes through the heart of Boston and leads you to all the old historic places around town, such as houses, churches, cemetery's, battlefields, etc. It took us about 6 hours...but what better day to fully experience some of the greatest events in our nation's history than on the Fourth of July?! I obviously love America more than you.




We ended the night with the famous Boston firework show on the Charles River. Phil is the young men's president in his ward out there and had helped the boys make homemade kayaks. Me and Dev were both super excited about this part....until we saw the kayaks! They were made of canvas and plywood and folded in half completely flat? How in the heck were these things going to float us down the river?!? But we had no time to question it...we just grabbed some life jackets and hopped right in. Oh my gosh. These kayaks were sooo cool and we watched THE BEST FIREWORK show I have ever seen. Seriously it was 30 minutes long and the finale was so intense that you couldn't even see half of them from all the smoke. Not to mention the whole show was synced to the Boston Pops (orchestra) and Jennifer Hudson singing! And then it started pouring. As if it couldn't get any better! We were soaking wet. On the river. Gazing up at the illuminated sky. With the biggest smiles on our faces. While holding hands.
Definitely the Best Fourth of July Ever!

No comments: