Tuesday, July 17, 2012

East Coast Road Trip: Coney Island

Ever since I was pregnant and obsessed with the show What I Like About You, I have always wanted to go to Coney Island. (That show is the best, seriously.) But every time I go to NYC, I am always with people who have never been and so we end up doing the normal touristy things. Luckily Devin and I have both been to NYC a couple times, so when we planned this trip, it was number one on my list of things to do while in the city. I researched it (for like 10 min) and every single review basically went like this..."Coney Island is trashy, dirty, expensive, crowded, and a long train ride, etc. etc. etc....but we love it!! Definitely a must do." 
We were sold. 

After our 4 hour long bus ride from Boston to New York (that we almost missed, but luckily they held it for us), we checked into our hotel (more on that later) and headed straight down to Coney Island. First on the list of things to do: eat at Nathan's!
Unfortunately we found out that we missed the world famous hot dog eating contest by 2 days. I was sad at first...that is until I found out that the winner beat his own record and ate 68 hot dogs in buns! SIXTY EIGHT! Ewww. I don't think my stomach could handle watching that go down. We were happy eating one and chatting with the local workers. They were a riot. 
Next up:

Oh man! We were in heaven. A theme park on the beach!??!?! Heck yeah! It was totally white trash, and expensive as heck...but we loved everything about it! We went on all the best rides. Only high thrills for us. We don't mess around. 


After we hit our ride max (or decided that $70 on rides was plenty enough), we headed down to the Boardwalk and the beach!! It was super crowded but I loved everything about it. It was old school, childhood fun. Exactly how I imagined it. We walked down the pier and decided we couldn't take it any longer. We needed to join the thousands of other people and get in the water! I have never seen a beach this crowded. Ever. But it was actually really cool. The more the merrier...right?!?! We found the nearest Boardwalk store, purchased some new swim suits...and ran our little booties into that water. What a perfect little day.









I heart Coney Island!!

No comments: