Saturday, July 19, 2014

Denver, Colorado

When you're boyfriend breaks up with you out of nowhere--right before a 3 days weekend--the most logical and rational thing you could possibly do is book a same day flight for you and your son to see one of your favorite humans who you have only met once, to a city you've basically never been to... right?
Right.
So that's exactly what I did. And it was one of the best decisions I've made. 
I was distracted. I was loved. We were loved. We were constantly entertained. And we laughed til we cried. And Matix had fun. And I had fun. And BC had fun.  And we met his boys. And we fell in love with them. 
So BC is one of the good ones in the world. We've been friends for about a year now and even though we've only met once, I feel like I've known him for so much longer. We had a crush for a hot minute. And we acted on it. But it just didn't make sense. As much as we are alike, we are just as much different. And we live in different worlds. So I decided to date Matt instead of holding on to what could have been with BC and we transferred those feelings into an awesome friendship. And I like it that way. Anyways, BC is a Christian believing-world-changing-high school mentor-video-making-world traveling-storyteller. Yep, I think that about sums him up. Just kidding, there's so much more to him but the rest takes time to learn. Anyways, a huge part of his life are his "boys." He's a Young Life leader in the east side of Denver and he basically is a mentor, leader and friend to a huge group of black high schoolers. I've chatted with them. I've snapped with them. And I've wanted to meet them! And I finally did. And they were just as cool as I'd imagined. Seriously, they are hilArious! Non-stop entertainment all weekend long. 


We landed in Denver in the evening sometime and BC and some of the boys picked us up from the airport. They filled us in on the "plan." Guys night sleepover (plus Ashley) and we needed to get groceries to make the night complete. The grocery store was interesting to say the least. It prepared me for my role: mama bear. I seriously was baby-sitting a bunch of ridiculous humans. Playing catch down the aisles. Sneaking unnecessary snacks. Begging. Pleading. Wining at "no's." You name it, it happened. But I couldn't help but love it. 

We got to the house and I met "the crew." All 10 of them? I think. There were a million. I hardly could keep track of who was who. And no that wasn't a racist joke. Even though I'm starting to question if I am racist now because any time I said "no" to anything...I was "racist". 
"Ashley will you go upstairs and get me some ice cream?" "no" "dudeeeeeeeeee, you racist." "Ashley, let me sit shotgun." "No." "Racist." It was never-ending. (They were kidding of course) 
We spent the night making disgusting milkshakes, playing video games, watching a movie, stuffing our faces, and chatting into the wee hours of the morning. Matix LOVED guy night. 


The next morning I made "the crew" all french toast. Several had never had it before and the thought of powdered sugar was ridiculous in their eyes...until they tried it, that is. Then a couple of the boys' sister had a high school graduation party. Let me tell you, the east side knows how to throw a party. It was at the park, and the day could not have been any more gorgeous and there were tons and tons of people there and tons and tons of food there. And me, Matix and BC were literally the only white people in sight. Not that it mattered, it just was interesting. We stood at like a sore thumb, but were welcomed just the same. Everyone LOVES BC. He's a hero in their eyes.




Oh, and I adopted a daughter. Well, actually she adopted me as her mother and BC as her father. I can't even remember her name anymore but man did she love me. We hung out the whole day, she never left my side and played with Matix a ton! She was adorable. 




The next day was quite the adventure. We picked up all the boys... PS: Every car ride was an adventure itself. BC let the boys...who don't have licenses drive his car and they would steal his car and we would sing like crazy and the whole thing was just insane. Anyways, we headed up to Red Rocks to hike and see the famous amphitheater and go to church. Some of the boys hated hiking and one of them was deathly afraid of heights and complained the whole time. He sincerely thought he was going to die. I could have peed my pants. We completed the hike and had a blast....untilll...it started to hail. You guys...I had never been in hail--it was unreal. Golf ball size ice chunks falling from the sky. Okay maybe not that bad, but basically. I'd never experienced it! 
It was so rad! Scary! Insane! Awesome! Painful! Unreal! All at the same time. 
We took cover in some little pizza shop and ate lunch until it was time for church to start. One of the boys asked me to be his girlfriend and I agreed. Another one held my hand during the hike. They all wanted me to be their "bae" and I fed into it. They are the cutest, funnest, kids ever. I wish I could hang out with them everyday! Church was fun as well. Totally not what I am used to but it was cool. The message was actually really good and not far off from the messages the LDS church teaches. But the rock band was definitely different. And the hallelujah throw your hands in the air and touch your heart like you feel the spirit oh so good was definitely out of my element but I love that BC takes these boys to church every week and instills the goodness of God and Christ in them. I whispered back and forth to the boy standing next to me and he said that no one in his family goes to church or talks about church but that he likes it and wants to keep going forever. I love that. 
When we got home we had an impromptu surprise party for their other YL leader and jumped out of the closet (yes, we all hid in there) and scared him. Then I don't remember what we did the rest of the time, but I recall sitting on the porch chatting late into the evening with BC's roommates. 








The next day was Memorial Day so we took it easy in the morning. Matt called which was a definite highlight and said he missed me and wanted to hang to when I got home.So BC got to experience the excitement of that, which I'm sure was thrilling.  (Don't worry it was a load of crap and just caused more heartache). We spent the rest of the day at the park BBQ-ing and playing games and stuff. It was the perfect end to our perfect weekend. Hooray for spontaneous trips with amazing people! Can't wait to come back for round 2!




Thanks BC for being there for me when I needed it most! 
You're one of my favorites. And those boys of yours have stolen a piece of my heart 
just like my boy stole a piece of yours. 

No comments: