Sunday, August 10, 2014

"To Travel is to Live"


Africa has always been a dream of mine. A dream I thought I'd never achieve. It's just a whole world away, and flights are outrageous, and then you add in the fact that it doesn't always seem like the safest place to go and everyone I've ever known to go over there goes with some sort of humanitarian trip, and...ya. Believe me when I say I have looked into many different organizations who do humanitarian trips over there and you have to pay a couple thousand dollars plus plane tickets and to top it all off most have a minimum volunteer time of two weeks to a month. And sure I could go to South Africa and go on a safari, but it just didn't seem like a TRUE African trip to me. It seemed like a touristy trip and I really wanted the volunteer/village living/humanitarian taste of Africa. 

So I defeatedly accepted the fact that a trip to Africa wasn't ever going to be a real possibility for me. 

And then this spring my wheels started spinning. Kaiizen (the group we went to Mexico with) was heading to Swaziland in June and Margo (my bff) was off work for one of the two weeks they'd be there. So she started talking about going. And Kaiizen said we could crash their trip for a few days and volunteer but also do our own thing.  How Perfect!! So I started thinking...maybe I could make this dream a  reality. So we started planning.

Unfortunately...the timing of everything didn't work out exactly right so Margo and I would have to drive from Johannesburg (which isn't the safest place) in a stick shift car (which neither of us knew how to drive) on the other side of the road (also a first) into Swaziland on dirt roads that are hardly marked. 

So we bailed.
But we didn't give up hope.
We were determined to make this trip happen anyways. 

I started doing research to pick out where would be the best country to go to on our African adventure. We thought about JoBurg/Victorian Falls, Morocco, Egypt Jordan Petra Jerusalem (A DREAM of mine), etc. But none of them felt right due to safety/the type of trip we were looking for. 

And then my friend BC randomly went to Africa (Uganda, Kenya, and Rwanda) and I asked which one he recommended and he said Uganda. AND one of his best friend lives there and runs a non-profit and so he got me in touch with her and she helped me plan everything out and so we felt prepared, and safe and so we were SOLD.

Africa was no longer a dream...but it was about to become a reality! 
My reality. 
OH MY GOSH!!!!!

Uganda here we come!!!

No comments: